maps changes

Discussion in 'Zombie Survival' started by bearing, Aug 20, 2018.

1. bearing

bearing New Member

I'm trying to modify some of the vanilla maps to work better in zombie mode at the moment i'm working with gravel pit and i wanted to show the work so far for suggestion and improvments

20180819175333_1.jpg 20180819175231_1.jpg 20180819175244_1.jpg 20180819175306_1.jpg 20180819175317_1.jpg

2. SweetCookie500

SweetCookie500 New Member

Pictures 2 - 4 has an interesting concept, but that could turn into an OP spot with enough people. If it doesn't add too many problems to the map layout, would it be possible to add another staircase similar to the one on the left of your position in picture 3 (or a ramp or ladder)? Just so that there could be more ways for Zombies to infiltrate that spot. If that can't be done, then you can ignore this comment haha

3. bearing

bearing New Member

thank you for your suggestion i will loo better for those spots, also the map will need a test once finished

4. Дэвид

Дэвид New Member

I am not a map maker, thus I don't know the limits on map making. But I suggest you try to add a couple hiding spots too since there are no good hiding spots on gravel pit. Maybe you could make the camp spots so that there won't be space for the whole team. This counters mega camping a bit. Anyway besides my suggestions, great work and keep it up!

5. DoMessWithProfile

DoMessWithProfile Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Have you read Jack5's guide on making ZS maps? It's on Gamebanana.

6. Jack5

Jack5 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

We are very strict with the maps that get into our rotation, including ZS map submissions. From the screenshots, the primitive nature of your staircases and use of props will likely not allow the map to be accepted. Not only wil you need to read my guide as a primer, but you'll also need to get familiar with map editing as a whole. Adding in brushes doesn't cut it most of the time, and you'll often have to borrow brushwork from other Valve maps to fit the theme of the original.

7. bearing

bearing New Member

I'm tring my best and yes i read your guide but i really want to make a good map for zs so do you have some tips or trick to help me???

8. DoMessWithProfile

DoMessWithProfile Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Firstly, the map still has to be fun, if your players hit a block on accident and get caught on one, it's not their fault, unless the block is obvious.
    In picture 5, we see that a pole is blocking the stairs, it doesn't look good and it's quite annoying.

If you use the correct textures, it will look better. Try to fit the theme of the map.
    Oh and don't forget about lighting and cubemaps.

9. SweetCookie500

SweetCookie500 New Member

Going from what DoMess mentioned, you could open up your maps for beta testing so that a couple of players can experience the map and give general feedback on what to keep, what to improve and/or what to remove. Beta testing maps can help determine changes to the map so that it can avoid potential OP spots, determine changes to the appearance of the map, and especially experiment with what works and what doesn't in regards to the various play styles of ZS.

Again, this is just a suggestion so you don't have to do it :)

10. Jack5

Jack5 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

The best place to get feedback on your map is to first upload it to GameBanana as a TF2 Zombie Survival map (not Zombie Fortress) then ask us to test it.

SweetCookie500 likes this.