Clarification regarding rule 1 needed

Discussion in '[TF2] Zombie Survival' started by Alex_VIE, Jan 17, 2021.

1. Alex_VIE

Alex_VIE New Member

Hello!

According to the Rushy server rules, bigotry, harassment, racism/sexism or vote abuse are not allowed on the servers. This seems reasonable enough, even laudable, and is unlikely to be opposed by any reasonable, decent person.

I am, however, somewhat troubled by the interpretation of said rule espoused by one moderator. As you no doubt will be aware, a screenshot has been posted here denouncing “racism” and “toxicity” on the California server (https://www.rushyservers.com/threads/please-do-something-about-the-racism-in-this-server.731/).

The player in question had, before they have made their post on the forums, repeatedly called players racist for (rightly, in my opinion) pointing out that:
    • George Floyd had a lethal dose of fentanyl in his blood at the time of his death.
    • The “Black Lives Matter” movement is, at least in part, funded by György (“George”) Soros.
    These were also, in essence, the examples for “racism” and “toxicity” provided in the screenshot. Looking at the chat history, I think it is also very clear that the whole discussion only arose because the player in question started making statements that are, in my opinion, likely to be false.

As to the facts:

The autopsy report performed on George Floyd concludes that he had, among other illegal substances, 11 ng/mL of fentanyl in his blood (see https://www.scribd.com/document/464472105/Autopsy-2020-3700-Floyd#fullscreen&from_embed). Fentanyl concentrations as low as 3 ng/mL can be lethal (Molina DK, Hargrove VM, eds. Handbook of Forensic Toxicology for Medical Examiners. 2nd ed. Boca Raton, FL: CRC Press; 2019:94.) and Tharp et al. (2004) found that decedents who injected fentanyl extracted from patches had concentrations ranging from 5 to 27 ng/mL in their blood. Additionally, I would also like to point out that, in the case of oral ingestion (perhaps in an effort to conceal the illegal substance from law enforcement) one would expect a decedent’s blood concentration to be on the lower end of that spectrum since, unlike in the case of intravenous injection, absorption is halted with the onset of death.

I’m not an American, so I’m obviously going to be less informed on the matter than my American friends and there are certainly going to be aspects that I’m missing, even after reading the autopsy report and several of the court documents very carefully. As far as I can tell, it is, however, simply a fact that George Floyd had a lethal dose of fentanyl, known for its respiratory suppressant effects, in his system at the time of his death.

The Open Society Foundations, founded by György Soros (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Society_Foundations), announced a $220M donation to “Black Lives Matter”. On their own website (https://www.opensocietyfoundations.org/voices/a-220-million-investment-in-racial-justice). I’m not even sure why this matters. I guess American political discourse is just weird or maybe I’m missing something. As far as I’m concerned, Soros is free to spend his money as he pleases.

The statement that “Black Lives Matter” is partly funded by Soros is, however, also simply a fact.

Public offer of a reward:

The first person to sue me at the District Court of Vienna – Margareten shall receive 1000€ (one thousand Euro) if they can prove that any of the two statements are not, at least in essence and colloquial usage of the terms, true.

Foreign judgements or other sovereign acts cannot in and of themselves be considered proof. With the exception of court fees, each party shall bear their own legal costs.

As to the law:

No broadly accepted definition of racism or bigotry that I could find encompasses true but inconvenient (to some) statements. I would, instead, argue that facts cannot be racist. The facts just are whatever they are.

I therefore seek clarification regarding the following matters:

Does the moderation team consider
    1. factual statements regarding the fentanyl concentration in George Floyd’s blood at the time of his death and
    2. factual statements regarding the funding of “Black Lives Matter”
    to be racist or bigoted and therefore in conflict with the Rushy server rules?

Thanks and sorry for my bad English.

2. DoMessWithProfile

Huh, this is a lot of background information and medical science and facts. I'm unable to answer your question, since I'm definitely unsure about anything here, but maybe some moderator might have a chance to answer this!
    I'm pretty sure we're all gamers though so, highly unlikely if we can answer.

3. JamieJamms

JamieJamms Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Hey Alex, the team has talked it over and we agree that stating these facts does not infringe our rules.
    However, these statements along with other sensitive or controversial topics (e.g. politics, human rights, religion) may cause negative discourse among our community members. We recommend keeping to other topics when chatting on our servers.
    Hopefully this information helps. If you have any further questions or concerns please leave a reply below, a team member will get back to you as soon as possible.

#3 JamieJamms, Jan 17, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2021
    Skaldas and MattG like this.