[Accepted] Malcolm's Moderator Application

Discussion in 'Moderator Applications' started by Malcolm Black, Feb 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Malcolm Black

Malcolm Black Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

IGN: Malcolm Black

Servers:
    I'll be applying to Rushy's California Zombie server.

Average hours spent on our servers in a week (Split by type if applying for multiple server types): I spend about a good 10-20 hours on the servers in total. However, these hours will vary due to school (currently attending a university) and my part-time job. I spend a majority of my time on the servers during the weekends.

Country and State: United States of America, California

Languages: English

Steam link: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198044877866/

Rushy Servers Stats link: Link to your Rushy Servers Gameme stats profile (http://stats.rushyservers.com): http://stats.rushyservers.com/playerinfo/105179

Understanding: It's a simple game of "cat and mouse," except the cats are hellbent on infecting the mice into becoming cats while the mice are trying to prevent this transformation by either barricading themselves into one room, hiding, or lone-wolfing.

In all realness, the Medics are the zombies and the Engineers are the humans; humans versus zombies. The Engineers have 30 seconds to find a place to stack inside of (with the exception of those who choose to hide or actively hunt the Z's) while the Z's are frozen in place. After the timer's up, the Zombies begin their hunt with the help of starting Juggernauts, which are Z's that have increased health and provide a small buff to their ally Z's. The Engies have about six and a half minutes (390 seconds) to survive, and they can build everything besides their sentries. Around the 2 minute mark, the Z's get a jump height and movement speed buff. Eventually, the last Engie(s) to survive win, and if they all get infected, they lose. (A thing to note: "infection" doesn't mean 1 hit = zombie; 2-3 hits, depending on the Engie's loadout will kill and turn them into Z's.)

Based on my experience, most rounds goes as follows: one/two veteran Engineer/s find a hard-to-reach-spot to set the nest in, while the rest follow. Of course, this increases the chance of survival by a large margin, but this strategy only works on maps that are small and/or have small entrances that are completely blocked by a dispenser/telefrag trap combo. Eventually, this nest will get breached by Amputator spam and a Z rush. I understand that this playstyle is incredibly safe, but it's also boring to me. Hours ago, we were on Badwater, and it was five Engies to two Z's. Four of the group nested on the second point's building, but I went off and hunted the Z's down. After getting both kills, I encouraged the rest of the Engineers to rally behind me to proactively hunt the Zombies; this playstyle is essentially the way of the Combat Engineer in regular gameplay. Eventually, as more people joined, the Engineers didn't hide on high places, but rather, we were actively running around near healthpacks and the occasional dispenser and blowing lead into some Zombie brains. It was glorious and refreshing to see more and more of the players catch onto this playstyle, and this is exactly what I want to keep doing: encourage the combat style of Engineering rather than hiding and nesting.

The norm is to hide and barricade inside one room. Where's the fun in that? If you see a couple of Engineers go out of the base and run head-first into the danger of the Z's (I specify in chat that they are "secret missions" in chat), then more of the player base will catch on and spark the initiative to fight instead of hide, and I have a strong feeling that the more people see that it's more fulfilling to go out and actively kill the Zombies, the more competitive and fun the server will be in the long-term.

Now, I mentioned that the lone-wolf wanderer playstyle is only applicable to smaller maps that do not have an abundance of intricate Ninjaneer spots. However, that doesn't entirely mean that I'm going to do it every round/map. When push-comes-to-shove, I tend to find small, unpopular hiding spots in order to survive the rest of the round while being the only Engineer left. Once I'm the only one alive, I'd stick in the spot until I'm discovered, and then go Engie-Rambo for as long as I can until I become overwhelmed. This is the status quo of the server: hide in an unpopulated area, preferably a small nook, and wait it out until the round ends. As a continuing member of the community, I'd love to potentially provide guides on which map has last-man-standing spots. That way, for the individuals who use the forum, they'd have an edge over those who don't inform themselves of said spots. This would make the games more challenging for the Z's, and more fight-or-flight for the survivors.

As a Zombie, I have the tendency to take command. What I mean is that if the Z's are having a difficult time cracking a nest, I would voice/team chat to meet me in a specific spot and to use the rushing strategy with both Juggernauts and two or more Amputator Z's. That way, players will formulate plans in future games similar to situations such as that so that rounds aren't so one-sided, favoring the Engineers. Planning strategies instead of mindlessly rushing into a nest creates unity and teamwork within the Zombies, making it difficult for the Engineers to counter, which would result in them not continuing going to the same nest every round; the encouragement of diversity of base spots would be present. I'd love to further encourage this ambition as I continue to play on the servers.

Moderator Experience: I've had moderator experience on Black Sun Studio's ZombieX servers from early summer of 2016 - early fall of 2017. I was promoted from Jr.Admin immediately to a regular Admin based off my performance and attitude within the server. There was the usual muting and kicking for those who tend to abuse their mics or grief others. The server had to shut down due to new ownership, and to this day, it is currently getting rebooted and remodeled.

Additional Information:
    I've played TF2 for about 6 years now, and I'm a proud Engie main. Finding servers where Engineer is a dominant/limited class makes me incredibly happy and competitive. I play on a lot of Team Fortress with Friends (TFF) Saxton Hale 10x server #3, as well as the ZombieX server (when it's up) I stated above.
    Something additional things about myself is that my name is Vincent, Vince, or Vinny (however you would want to modulate it), and I attend University of California - Davis. I'm currently a third year communications major, striving to become a psychologist or therapist. I've been known to be chill, down-to-earth, easy-to-talk-to, adaptable, quick learning, and just an overall friendly guy.

Thank you for putting your time and consideration into looking at my application. Have a wonderful day!

#1 Malcolm Black, Feb 13, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
  2. Jack5

Jack5 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Your moderator application is overall good, but I must ask you to continue elaborating on your Understanding paragraph. We do not like it when people recite what the Team Fortress 2 Wiki has to say about the gamemode, so we're just making sure you mean business.

Malcolm Black likes this.
  3. Malcolm Black

Malcolm Black Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I'll elaborate more on that. Thank you for the criticism.

4. Jack5

Jack5 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I am... honestly disappointed that you are a roamer. We prefer to represent our servers with campers and build around those kind of Engineers, rather than encouraging brute-force. It will all depend on whether Rushy thinks you are worthy for the job, especially since you donated not long ago.

Malcolm Black likes this.
  5. Malcolm Black

Malcolm Black Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

To each their own, right? I know a majority of the server is most likely going to still nest and stay in one, finite area. After all, their sole goal is to survive. I'm still going to try to create a new perspective for other Engineers that also want to follow the same mindset. And it really depends on the map as well; I'm not going roam indefinitely, but rather, if the map is small, then by all means, I'll wander. However, I prefer to hide in intricate spots to wait out the time when it comes to the larger maps.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.