Accidntaly banned for changing name to much.

Discussion in 'Complaints/Reporting/Unban Appeal Forum' started by Zach, Jan 29, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zach

Zach New Member

Hello! I was playing on your server Medic vs Engineer Australia #1, I was banned from this server for changing my name too much, I was not hacking! I promise! It was because there was a joke going around on the server where people would name themselves "can of (Soda name)" This started because I have a friend called "A can of Soda, and people started to pick up on the joke, I changed my name too much and was banned due to it. I did hear someone say that if you change your name too much you can get banned but I didn't think much of it. I have spoken to one of your moderators, "The Population Of Sweden" and he/she has directed me to your website, "Can of Soda" was in the game when I got banned so you may ask him what happend too if you wish. I am sorry for changing my name too much and I will not do It again.

My steam username Is AłphāGhōšt If you wish to message me on steam, I will be waiting for a reply.

Thank you and I hope you understand

-Zach

2. Rushy

Rushy Administrator
    Staff Member

3. Zach

Zach New Member

Phew, that’s a relief. Thank you and I will not do it again.

4. Naleksuh

Naleksuh New Member

Why not just make people unable to change their names after they reach the limit?

edit : i was talking to rushy here, quote machine broke.

5. DoMessWithProfile

DoMessWithProfile Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I don't think you can do such thing.

6. Rushy

Rushy Administrator
    Staff Member

There is a certain tool which bypasses the TF2 lock and also does not populate the steam account previous name list. Actual players do not usually get picked up as they would have to change their name 7 times in a 5 minute period and ignore the orange and red message warnings to wait 10 minutes at change 4, 5 and 6 (6 includes the hint text and does the 'bloop' sound effect).

When namehackers who use cheats get picked up by the system, it does so before VAC bans the account - if it was a tool that VAC can detect. VAC kicks in after about an hour or two.

7. Naleksuh

Naleksuh New Member

Then maybe cooldown on sv_namechange_cooldown_seconds could be increased :thinking:

8. Naleksuh

Naleksuh New Member

the "namelockid" command can block it, however i haven't been able to test if it blocks name cheats (it's a mystery why)

rushy says it doesn't though and his server has a new cheater every 5 minutes so..

9. Naleksuh

Naleksuh New Member

however if it doesn't, i could write a plugin that just immediately changes name back.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.